Sunday, March 8, 2009

Marriage

My brother just got engaged and it brought to mind all the things that we discussed over the Hymn to Demeter. I have especially been pondering the idea that marriage and death are linked very closely. Getting married would be kind of dying in a sense because you are leaving a way of life behind. You are no longer single, the life that you knew will no longer be the same. Even if you divorce or your spouse dies, your life will have forever been changed by being married. The way that you think, the things that you believe, and the innocence and cluelessness that you had about people and life have been influenced or taken away. I have a friend at work and she's been divorced and the way that she looks at marriage and love are nothing like what they were before she was married. That may be a negative way to look at marriage, I mean, getting married is supposed to be a happy event that signifies the love between two people. Just because marriage is the death of one way of life does not mean that the life you will lead as a married person will be horrible and dark and all those things that we associate with death. Who is to say that Persephone is not entirely happy with her married life? I perfer to think that she and Hades eventually came to love each other and are living happily right now. Although, I suppose with Spring on its way, Hades it starting to feel a little depressed and angry. Maybe that's what accounts for the snow that we've been getting. March coming in as a lion is simply Hades expressing himself. The funny thing is that now, whenever I think of marriage, I'm going to think of death. My future is already being possessed by the past. I don't think I'll share this with my brother on his wedding day, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment