Sunday, March 8, 2009

Shrews

While I was reading Lysistrata, I found that Lysistrata really reminded me of one of Shakespeare's characters: Katharina in The Taming of the Shrew. This is one of my favorite plays and it's because Katharina is so fiesty and angry and always knows what to say. My high school performed the play and I also got to see a production of it by one of the colleges in my town. The college performance really brought to light all of the sexual inuendoes the play has, just like Lysistrata. The two females leads are both quick witted to both men and women and get in to arguments. I love the flyting passage in The Taming of the Shrew between Katharina and Petruchio.

Kath: Mov'd! in good time: let him that mov'd you hither remove you hence: I knew you at the first you were a movable.
Pet: Why, what's a movable?
Kath: A joint-stool.
Pet: Thou hast hit it: come sit on me.
Kath: Asses are made to bear, and so are you.
Pet: Women are made to bear, and so are you.
Kath: No such jade as bear you, if me you mean.
Pet: Alas, good Kae, I will not burden thee: For, knowing thee to be but young and light,
Kath: Too light for such a swain as you to catch; and yet as heavy as my weight should be.
Pet: Should be! should buzz.
Kath: Well ta'en, and like a buzzard.
Pet: O, slow-wing'd turtle! shall a buzzard take thee?
Kath: Ay, for a turtle,-as he takes a buzzard.
Pet:Come, come, you wasp; i'faith, you are too angry.
Kath: If I be waspish, best beware my sting.
Pet: My remedy is then, to pluck it out.
Kath: Ay, if the fool could find it where it lies.
Pet: Who knows not where a wasp doth wear his sting? In his tail.
Kath: In his tongue.
Pet: Whose tongue?
Kath: Yours, if you talk of tails; and so farewell.

No comments:

Post a Comment