Sunday, March 8, 2009

Old Men and Old Women

I loved the Chorus in Lysistrata. I thought the old men and women were a hoot. The way that they bantered back and forth and then made peace between each other by being nice was so funny and sort of sweet. They embody the way that old men and women seem to act in life, I think. I work at JoAnn's in the Mall and I see lots of old couples come in to the store everyday, so I like to think that I get to see what the culmination of a relationship is. When I was working a few days ago, I heard this conversation between a husband and wife who were fairly old. They were talking about making a quilt.

Wife: So, are you signing yourself up here?
Husband: Hmmm, huh?
Wife: Are you going to help me with this?
Husband: What? Oh, I guess.
Wife: You guess? Right, sure, uhhuh.

The husband was barely paying attention to what his wife was saying to him and the wife obviously did not truly expect him to be helping with the project. They were simply bantering back and forth, like the men chorus and the women chorus just not as vulgar, as the probably do everyday. I thought what was especially telling about their relationship was the fact that neither of them looked at the other during the entire converstaion. The wife was going through her purse and the husband was staring in to the distance, surely thinking deep thoughts. Now, isn't this the way every relationship between a man and woman goes at some point?

No comments:

Post a Comment