Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Pets Dying

Okay, I know that Prof. Sexson assigned this topic a long time ago, but I've only really started thinking about it recently. The group presentations have really had a theme of pets dying or maybe it's just something in me realizing that I need to discuss it. I'm actually not going to talk about a pet dying, though. I'm going to talk about having to give up a pet.

Cody was my family's cocker spaniel when I was young. He had been abused by his former owner and he had bad attachment issuses, but he was really great. At least I remember him as being great, I was only about eight or so when we had him. He did not get along at all with my dad, however, and it soon became an issue of my dad leaving or the dog leaving. I remember being so crushed when Cody left. Sure, my mom told me that he was going to a better owner, one who had a farm and Cody could run everywhere and also be with other dogs, but all I could was cry. I knew I was never going to see him again or even have another pet to try to cover the grief with. I was sad and angry and frustrated all at the same time. It was like he had died, only he really hadn't. He only moved on to a different family to share his love with.

No comments:

Post a Comment